Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thrifty menu planning


Visit more menus here.

I love being thrifty. I love to save time, energy and money- most especially at dinner time. It makes me feel like I am really doing a good job at home.

One of my favorite things to do is to make one meal then turn the leftovers into two or three completely different meals.

My next favorite thing to do is to look around the house at what I already have and need to put to use before it turns stale or is otherwise unusable and make meals from that. I am not as good at this as I wish I could be, But, this is what I am doing this week:

Sunday:
Clean out the fridge salad
Lettuce with chopped tomato, cucumber, cheese, diced ham, diced egg, dried cranberries and a chopped apple with vinaigrette dressing. (Basically, I clean out my fridge and put it all in a salad)

Monday:
Hamburgers with home made fries (Make two hamburgers using first part of large ground beef package and leftover buns before they turn stale as well as potatos that also need to be used. Garnish with left over salad fixings of lettuce and tomatos)

Tuesday:
Pork Chops with mash potatoes (using all potatos)

Wednesday:
Salisbury Steak (last half of large ground meat package)
Mix ground beef with Lipton onion soup mix, form into four patties, mix one can of beef broth with one can of cream of mushroom soup- pour over beef patties. Cook on low heat for one hour, turning occasionally. Serve with rice.

Thursday
Pork chop sandwich (left over pork chops with remainder of buns, lettuce and tomato)

Friday
left over Salisbury steak.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Bobbie!

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm definitely looking forward to doing MPM every week, and I think you've inspired me to do a clean my freezer theme sometime really soon:) Happy cooking this week!

Darlene said...

WOW, you go girl!! That is so good for you to think of ways to not throw food away. I haven't cooked in so long. My husband is out of town alot and Andrea and I usually eat a frozen dinner. I am getting tired of them. I need a new stove ...so maybe in the next month I can get one and I will have to use your tips for saving money on food. Great Job and keep it up!!
Have a great week!