Monday, July 14, 2008

I'm such a gracious winner

This weekend My brother in law and I had a chicken salad throw down.

Despite all his trash talking....I have to admit.... I was pretty confident.

About thirty minutes into the eating, it was clear to all which way the voting was going, and the tide never changed...

About 9:00p, when my bowl was completely empty and his bowl was amazingly full, a concession speech was given and a chicken salad winner was declared.

There was cheers and applause...

and

I am very pleased to announce the winner was.....

ME!!

I fully expect to have my own show on Food Network any day now.

My victory may be short-lived as my brother in law is already demanding requesting a re-match. I foolishly let him choose the next challenge and he chose... shrimp creole... something I have never made!!!

Lets just say... my husband is going to be eating a great deal of shrimp creole in the coming weeks as I perfect my next dish.

But for now... I am basking in all my chicken salad glory.

Here is the winning menu.

Weight Watcher's Chicken Salad (4 points each serving)
Bake a whole chicken and take meat off bone
Chop one onion, one green bell pepper and a couple of handfuls of green and red grapes
Mix in a little low fat mayo, salt and pepper.

It sounds simple... but trust me on this one.... its a winner!

Lazy Summer Asian Cole Slaw recipe from New Every Morning

Layer the following in this order in a bowl:
2 packages of crushed raman noodles
Cole slaw mix (or broccoli slaw mix)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
one bunch chopped green onion
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
then pour this dressing on top:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
season package from raman noodles
1/2 cup of vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1/2 cup sugar.
DO NOT STIR.
Put in fridge for 30 minutes to 24 hours
stir and serve.


Corn and Black Bean Salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing I adapted the recipe from Good Things Catered. (she has a picture of it, too!)

Mix together one cup fresh steamed or grilled sweet corn (I used one can of sweet corn, drained), and one can of black beans drained and rinsed. Add one chopped green bell pepper, one chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 chopped large onion, one chopped tomato, and one chopped jalapeno pepper (minus the seeds).
Whisk this dressing together: 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, juice of two limes, 1 chopped garlic clove and a tablespoon of taco seasoning(instead of the other spices the original recipe called for).

I had some left over Corn and Bean Salad that I put grilled chicken with and wrapped in a flour tortilla for Sunday dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobbie... great minds think alike..smile... I was at P. Tree today and bought some awesome fringe for some fall tassels... BIG SMILE.... I also passed Royal S.. and wanted to stop but had a fussy 8 yr old in the car... She won! Thanks for thinking of me... Susie H~

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.. I was there too! I cant believe I didnt see you or maybe I did. There was a lady with three kids.... I was there for about 30 min.... thats long enough to do some damage... Susie h~

tammi said...

How lucky we are that you're sharing these with us!! Once you have your own show and you're more famous than Rachael Ray, we'll all be able to say, "we knew her when she was just a blogger..." Ahhh, the memories.

I think it's awesome that you have food throw downs in your family! What a fun kind of competition!!

Darlene said...

Congrats! I bet that was fun.
The recipes sound delicious. I hope to try them.

Have fun!
Darlene