Monday, February 20, 2012

Pecan caramel bars

This is the "worst" kind of recipe.... delicious and quick. Quick enough to make on a random evening after work. Its also pretty impressive. So its easy to bring and impress others with your mad dessert skills.
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Recipe from Holly Clegg Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook.


except I use this pan with automatic portions instead of the 9 inch square pan I'm suppose to use. and I also use  parchment paper cut into squares

and spray pan with cooking spray. (there sticky as well as attractive and delicious).

First make the "crust".  1/3 cup light brown sugar (I used dark), 1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup flour. mix together and pat into bottom of pan. Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes until puffy and a little brown.

Find the bag of Caramels you hid from your husband and
put 40 unwrapped caramels in a small bowl with 3 tablespoons milk, microwave until creamy.
Pour over the crust.

top with 1/2 cup pecans (I use more) and bake 8 to 10 minutes.
I bake longer. I like then brown and crunchy.

Oh! My! Word! They are delicious!
Lighter and quicker than a pecan pie.
Also highly recommended from the office.
And easy to "pack" for sharing.

No comments: