I keep organized with a card organizer from Hallmark.
I've had it for about 15 years and I think it was free with purchase of cards. I probably have 15 cards or so in the box at all times for various reasons, birthdays, sympathy, general encouragement.
How I keep it well stocked (or how I keep myself ready to send some encouragement and avoid running to Walmart to find a card at the very last minute):
- Find a card you like and buy three
- Stock up at the Dollar store
- Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Ross sometimes have cards (near the registers)
- Hallmark has sales and clearances especially at the end of the seasons
- Walmart has a section of $.49 and $.99 cards
- Buy a card or two each trip to the grocery store and put away for later
- The Christian book store has a good selection and a lot of sales
- Boxed cards are always cheaper than buying cards separately. Stock up when the box cards go on sale (I see buy one box and get one free a lot)
- Yard sales
- I put a card or two in my address book and keep it at my desk at work
- I always have stamps on me
- I buy $5 gift cards from wherever I happen to be at (Subway, Starbucks) and keep in my wallet to include in cards
- When someone pops in my mind, I immediately put it on my to do list to send a card