Saturday, December 15, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins made with brown butter


What I found to do in the kitchen Saturday afternoon after preparing the high school girls Sunday School lesson (the importance of having a daily quiet time and practical suggestions on how to make it a daily reality) when I was avoiding settling down to work on my part of a  joint presentation I'm giving on Monday morning (and not ready for... Julie if your reading this, don't panic... I swear I'll be ready)  but not feeling productive enough to clean the kitchen:


Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins with Brown Butter  (original recipe here)


I hear that this butter  (that I said I wouldn't buy again because it is so expensive) is on sale at Whole Foods right now for $2.99  a package, and if you shop right, you can get it for $.99 (Thanks to the information from this blog). I hope I can find time to get across town and get some while still on sale, but it's not looking good.

Your going to need a stick of it for this recipe. This is my favorite thing to do to butter, browning it. I have an out of this world cookie recipe for brown butter but I am always looking for other reasons to brown some up.  It is just awesome, everyone will love it, and they wont be able to quite tell what it is, and you'll look like some kind of super hero in the kitchen.

Do you know how to brown butter?  Just melt it in a skillet over low heat until it turns dark brown but not black. It takes about 8 minutes. The key is low heat and gently rock the pan a few times as it gets dark brown but not black. You'll have to throw it out if its burnt. It transforms butter to a rich, buttery nutty-iness flavor.

I love a really large muffin, hence my search for a really large muffin baking pan. Spray it with cooking spray and  make some brown butter. Set it aside to cool.

Mix  2 cups flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup sugar.

In a different bowl, beat  2  eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3/4 cup buttermilk and add the now cooled brown butter and add to the dry ingredients. Stir by hand.

Gently add one cup blueberries. (fresh or frozen).

Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until browned on top.

mmmmmmmm......... they are delicious......


 Now.

Back to painting my nails....

I mean working.









I'm linked with Strut your Stuff Saturdays at Six Sisters!


2 comments:

gin said...

Anything but work.

Abundantly Blessed said...

Bobbie,
Thank you for leaving a comment at Abundance when you visited. I was so excited to receive a comment from someone I didn't know and/or am related to:)
Also thinking I need to try this recipe. After all I haven't ever browned butter. So I need to try it at least once, right?
Thank you again.