Saturday, August 24, 2013

Chocolate Oat Zucchini "brownies"

I couldn't even  wait for it to cool,
 I dug in with a spoon
How many pieces of fruit can one eat for dessert before driving to the gas station for a Reese's?

I had to talk myself off the ledge this weekend when I reached my nectarine limit  and resorted to trying recipes for "brownies" with peanut butter, honey, applesauce, cocoa, zucchini and oatmeal ground into flour but not containing one bit of  sugar.

What the what?! I know. This doesn't sound like me at all.

First I should disclose that I have to avoid the simple sugars and food made with the highly processed toxic stuff like ice cream, cookies and cake, but I am OK with the naturally occurring stuff in bananas, apples or milk.

I know.... it sounds impossible, and I certainly didn't want to believe it.  But its been six weeks, and I have to admit, I feel so much better without it and a lot of my digestive issues have gone away. Which means two doctors and a nutritionist were right...


Its been easier than you might think. The "brownies"  were pretty tasty, especially late at night when I was desperate and with no other options. I think my husband would have liked them more if he didn't see the zucchini going in it. Everyone at work was skeptical but the container was empty by noon and everyone said they were OK, and  a good alternative.


Brownie recipe  here

I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve. Next in the line up will be chickpea blondies and next on my already too full list of things to read is Fat Chance: Beating the Odds against sugar, processed foods, obesity and disease


No comments: