Thursday, March 20, 2008

Strangers in the night

Last night, we had a visitor. About 2;00 a.m., while my house was asleep, something came to visit in the back yard. They did not stick around long enough to introduce themselves, but the tracks in the yard look suspiciously like a deer- or a rabbit wearing deer's shoes.

I am sure they just stopped by to meet the new neighbors, see what has been done to this once abandoned house and then thought to themselves, well, since I'm here, I might as well have a drink out of the dog's water bowl on the porch. Yeah, the one that is so close to the back door.

This must have been when the dog awoke from his spot on the couch with a clear view out the back door, with a desire to go out and greet the visitor. RIGHT NOW. Because he was so eager, he ran full speed at the french doors, which were closed.

Which is when I woke up.

One of my husband's many good qualities is that he is very calm, even at 2:00 a.m. with an unknown visitor in the yard/porch, me screaming something that does not make sense, and a dog throwing himself at the back door.

By the time the screaming stopped, believe it or not, the deer -or rabbit- or whatever the visitor was- no longer had any desire to stick around to get to know the new neighbors, and, just in case it was not a deer, my dog has earned himself a permanent sleeping spot on the couch, looking out the back doors.

2 comments:

Suzie said...

I think our dogs would be good buddies...they both sleep on the couch and are great watchdogs! :D

Thanks for the encouragement on Wednesday!!

50s Housewife said...

I would have been screaming too! :)

"a rabbit wearing deer's shoes."
That really had me laughing! You have a way with words.