Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One of my favorite pictures

This is one of my favorite pictures. It is a sweet example of life at my house. We are in the middle of moving out of our old house. My husband is sitting on the kitchen floor- I cant remember what he was doing at the time- but he was clearly working on something when both the cat and dog stop him asking for some attention. And you can clearly see who the attention hound in the family is.

It is one of my favorites because Sweetie the cat is no longer with us. She was already an older cat when I got her 10 years ago, and had not been feeling well for the last couple of years. I worried about her when I married, and again when my father in law moved in with us. How would she adjust to living in a different house, with a dog, and with other people who were not really crazy about a cat?

But, as so often is the case, I was concerned about nothing.

Many mornings I heard my father in law stirring around the house, and the first words he uttered each morning was, "hello cat." He even fed the cat table scraps just like he fed the dog. And although I cant say that my husband became her biggest fan, he did grow to like her, pet her equally, and was the one who carried her to the doctor for the last time.

Its also my favorite picture because the cat was camera shy. I think she was afraid of the flash. She was always a little skittish. But this time, she was unaware of the camera, absorbed in keeping her place in line with the dog, waiting her turn to disrupt the work to get a little loving.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

This is so sweet. It amazes me how pets can become such a part of our lives. Andrea was given a puppy Aug.07 and it stayed with us till Oct.07 then boyfriend breakup and etc. Well, Ava is now staying with us off and on...Lately, more on than off. LOL
She is so loving and loves to lick you. She drives me crazy sometimes especially when Andrea is not at home...but, we love her.

Have a great weekend!