Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sometimes the simplest things are the best

I make the best chicken pot pie that you have ever tasted. Really, I do. I cant tell you how many people have asked for my recipe. I've been making it so long that I cant even remember where I got the recipe. I have a vague memory that my Aunt Myrtis just verbally told me the recipe one day about 20 years ago, and I have been making it ever since.

It is probably the best dish that I make, and I make it for all occasions.

Have surgery? You get a chicken pot pie.

Death in family? I'll bring over a chicken pot pie.

I even have a friend that I just trade dishes with sometimes. She brings me sausage stir fry and picks up a chicken pot pie. Works really well for both of us.

But, I hesitate to give you this recipe. Your going to read it and think it is so simple that there is no way it is as tasty as I claim. But sometimes, the simplest things are the best. And this is one of them:

Preheat oven to 375.

Get a Pillsbury pie crust (in a red box in the fridge section).

Spray a casserole dish with Pam and put one pie crust on the bottom.

Bake a whole chicken, then take it off the bone (or get one already cooked, or just cook some chicken breasts and chopped them up)

Mix the chicken with one can of cream of chicken soup, one can of chicken broth, one can of veg-all and salt and pepper. Mix well.

Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and Cover with the second pie crust.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until brown on top.

Now, go amaze your family and friends with the simplest of dishes.

9 comments:

Darlene said...

This sounds so yummy!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Have a Fabulous Day!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Welcome to Foodie Friday. This is such a wonderful post. When a one pot meal is this portable and adaptable, it's a major keeper. I love how pre-cooked chicken can be added. This is very close to my mother's chicken pot pie recipe, and I can vouch for it's deliciousness. She also uses the frozen pie pastry for chicken 'n dumplings.

gin said...

To all the readers -- I give this an A+. I have had the chance to eat this at Bobbie's. Very delicious..

Pegi said...

Bobbie - this is one thing that I agree with you about ! It is delicious - - but I do not recall getting one for my g.b. surgery :-)
You are a great chef ! And, I do mean that !

B. said...

Peggy- you did not get one for your gb surgery because Ginger was staying with you to cook for you....

Sharon said...

YUM,YUM,YUMMMMMMM Please know that this sounds wonderful, BUT I hate pot piessss go ahead laugh, but I think what grossed me out of them is its a secret whats under neath that crust hahahaha people put fat from the chicken, bones, gressel, (don't think I spelled that right) :) but yuckkkkk, I want to give it a try, my husband loves pot pies, he will be soooo happy if I make this, and I can do it my self, so thankkkk you for the recipe seems simple enough. Anddddddd I am going to make it for my womens meeting this saturday afternoon..... so thank you I will let you know how it goes! Thanks for another brillant idea!! :)
Have a beautiful and blessed day :)

LillyB said...

Sounds really good! I will try this for the gospel singing where we all bring a dish!!
God Bless you!!
Love Lilly

Made In The South said...

Thanks for stopping by... This sounds so good, I need something to fix tomorrow night and this chicken pot pie would be great.

Christine said...

Hey Bobbie, I linked to this post :)