Friday, March 20, 2009

What have I been doing lately? Finding old cookbooks at yard sales and baking Walnut Cookies

Walnut cookies?

Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Apparently, busy women in the 1960s have. I found the recipe in the Pillsbury Cook off Best Recipes for Busy Women Cookbook (published in 1966), at a yard sale for $.50.

They are delicious, husband liked them, neighbors liked them, I'm making them again. A lot different than the traditional cookies you may be thinking about. Not too sweet, not gooey, not crispy, not chocolate.

If you like cookies, (and who doesn't like cookies?) try this out:

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Mix 2 cups flour with 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda and 1/4 tsp. salt

Beat 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed with ½ cup shortening. Mix well. Add 1 egg and 1 tsp. vanilla.

Add dry ingredients.

Shape into balls. Put on cookie sheet.

In different bowl, mix 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup sour cream.

Put one tablespoon of mixture on each cookie.

Bake for 12-14 minutes

I'm off to explore what else busy women in the 1960s were cooking.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

I bet my mom would love these. Thanks for sharing!
Have a wonderful weekend!

gin said...

have some baked when i stop by, I will give you fair warning.