Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Paula Deen's Strawberry Cake

Earlier this week, I made Paula Deen's Strawberry cake (with a few of my own modifications) and took half of it to the neighbors. Friday evening, the neighbor came to tell me it was the best cake he has ever eaten. I told him it was the butter, and I am sure the 7 cups of powdered sugar didn't hurt either.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease 2 9-inch round cake pans.

In a large bowl, combine 1 box of white cake mix and 1 box of Strawberry Jello gelatin.

Add 1 box of frozen pureed strawberries (I used fresh strawberries I pureed), 4 eggs (I only had 3), 1/2 cup of oil, and 1/4 cup of water.

Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.

Pour into prepared pans.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. (I baked for 28 minutes)

Let cool in pans for 10 minutes.

Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

For frosting:

In a large bowl, beat 1 stick of butter and 1 package of cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.

Beat in 1/4 cup of Frozen strawberry puree (I used fresh strawberries) and 1/2 teaspoon Strawberry extract (I skipped this).

Gradually add 7 cups of confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.

Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries. (I sliced strawberries very thin and added to middle and top of cake).


1 comment:

Scientific Housewife said...

Sounds amazing! Paula Deen knows how to make good food :)