This recipe here starts with grinding almonds into flour and continues with grinding dried dates into a paste. So you really have to want to make this cake because you are going to spend a lot of time and energy in the kitchen doing so.
which illustrates a point in the book I am reading, In Defense of Food, food that takes a long time to prepare is generally healthier and you will automatically eat less, because you wont go to all the work of preparing it often.
Modifications I will make next time I feel up to undertake this:
- Add more than 1/2 cup of cocoa. I feel I need more chocolate
- Bake a shorter amount of time, as the sides of the cake get dry but the middle was more moist. I want the whole cake to be like the middle
- Add a few more dates for more moisture
- Grind the almonds into a finer flour, mine were a little chunky
- Only make half this recipe as a little piece goes a long way
I am linked with Buns in my oven here