Wednesday, August 28, 2013

almond flour, date and chocolate cake

I am still playing around trying to add chocolate into my life, but with no sugar and less processed foods.

This recipe here  starts with grinding almonds into flour and continues with grinding dried dates into a paste. So you really have to want to make this cake because you are going to spend a lot of time and energy in the kitchen doing so.


which illustrates a point in the book I am reading, In Defense of Food, food that takes a long time to prepare is generally healthier and you will automatically eat less, because you wont go to all the work of preparing it often.

Modifications I will make next time I feel up to undertake this:
  • Add more than 1/2 cup of cocoa. I feel I need more chocolate
  • Bake a shorter amount of time, as the sides of the cake get dry but the middle was more moist. I want the whole cake to be like the middle
  • Add a few more dates  for more moisture 
  • Grind the almonds into a finer flour, mine were a little chunky
  • Only make half this recipe as a little piece goes a long way
small link party

No comments: