Monday, June 1, 2009

Look! A new Banana Bread recipe!

Low Fat Oatmeal Banana Bread
Weight Watchers Cookbook and originally found this on someone else's blog... but I cant remember who. So feel free to take credit for it.

makes 1 loaf of 10 slices, 4 points per slice


1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon ( I forgot to add this and it was fine without it)
3 tsp canola or walnut oil
1 large egg, beaten
2 medium egg whites, beaten
3 large bananas, ripe (I used 4)
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside. (Its important to flour the pan well. I only half hearted floured the pan and it stuck everywhere there was no flour)

In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients including the oats and cinnamon.

In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. (I just threw them in- no mashing)

Add oil and whole egg and mix thoroughly.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Batter will be fairly thick.

In a medium sized bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until medium stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter in three additions. (I did not do this - none of this- and it turned out fine)

Pour batter into pan and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 50 minutes.
(45 minutes was too long for me- crust was too brown. Try 40 minutes first).

Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.

Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes.

Slice loaf into 10 equally sized slices. 4 points each

Freeze each slice and take out one at a time for breakfast or snack.

Its very filling and moist.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Ohhhhhhh yummmmmmm,,, thank you
loving this.
My doctor put me on a 1400 calorie diet I don't even know where to start. hahaha
Anyways thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.
Have a beautiful day :)