Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Paula Deens' homemade granola


 
I've been avoiding granola because I didn't think I liked it, and I never saw my husband eat it either.  Surprisingly everyone in the house loved Dr. Oz' Cherry Granola Squares . (I've made it two weeks in a row).  I started putting it on my yogurt every morning, making parfaits for the food ministry, both of us eating it like a candy bar for a snack.

Turns out,  we do like granola! I just don't like the store bought kind. The home made kind is delicious! (and healthy! and easy!) I tried a different recipe this weekend, this one from Cooking with Paula Deen's magazine (March/April 2009 issue). 

this is the half version:
in a roasting pan, mix the following:
1 and 1/2 cups oats
1 and 1/2 cups roasted almonds
1/2 jar sunflower seeds

in a sauce pan, mix and cook for about two minutes:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey (I used more honey)
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

pour over the dry mixture and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
add 1/2 bag dried cranberries (I also added dried cherries and raisins)
let cool
store in airtight container for three weeks (it made A LOT)






I'm linked with slightly indulgent Tuesday here
I'm linked with Tasty Tuesday here
I'm linked at Show me what you got
I'm linked at Handmade Tuesday here
I'm linked with tell me Tuesday here

2 comments:

Treat and Trick said...

This is so much better than store bought one, I need to try it!

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

NOTHING beats homemade granola. I use a recipe my co-worker makes and I love it. My family didnt initially like granola until I made homemade either.